Goldman Sachs & China’s Largest Bank ICBC Receive Approval for China Wealth Management JV
26th May 2021 | Hong Kong
Goldman Sachs Asset Management and China’s largest bank ICBC (Industrial and Commercial Bank of China), have received preliminary approval from the China Banking and Insurance Regulatory Commission (CBIRC) to form a wealth management joint venture in China. The joint venture will be 51% owned by Goldman Sachs Asset Management and 49% by China’s largest bank ICBC (Industrial and Commercial Bank of China).
“Goldman Sachs & China’s Largest Bank ICBC Receive Approval for China Wealth Management JV”
China Financial Market Allows Increased Foreign Ownership, Participation
In 2019, China’s Financial Stability Development Committee announced plans to open up the financial market in China, including easing foreign ownership limits for certain financial services.
With the preliminary approval, Goldman Sachs joined international asset management firms, BlackRock, Amundi, Schroders and JP Morgan in establishing joint venture with the largest banks in China.
BlackRock, Amundi, Schroders, JP Morgan in Partnerships with China’s largest banks
Earlier in May 2021, BlackRock, the world’s largest asset manager with $9.01 trillion AUM, received approval for a wealth management license in China in a joint venture with China Construction Bank and Temasek (Sovereign Wealth Fund of Singapore). The joint venture, BlackRock CCB Wealth Management, is 50.1% owned by BlackRock, 40% by China Construction Bank and 9.9% by Temasek.
French asset manager Amundi has also setup a wealth management joint venture with Bank of China, Schroders is partnering with Bank of Communications while JP Morgan is partnering with China Merchant Bank.
Asset Managers and Chinese Banks Partnerships:
- Goldman Sachs and ICBC (Industrial and Commercial Bank of China)
- BlackRock and China Construction Bank (& Temasek)
- Amundi and Bank of China
- Schroders and Bank of Communications
- JP Morgan and China Merchant Bank
China, $14.3 trillion Economy
China is the fastest growing economy in the world and home to the fastest growing companies, billionaires, UHNWs & HNWs. China is the 2nd largest economy in the world with GDP of $14.3 trillion in 2020, representing 16.34% of global GDP ($87.7 trillion). China also has the largest population in the world with 1.39 billion, representing 18.21% of global population (7.67 billion).
China also have 3 of the world’s largest stock exchange – Shanghai Stock Exchange, Hong Kong Exchange and Shenzhen Stock Exchange. In the 2021 Global Financial Centres Index 29 Report, 4 of China’s cities are in the top 10 ranking – Shanghai, Hong Kong, Beijing, Shenzhen.
Greater Bay Area, Wealth Management Connect
China has also created many new initiatives, including the Greater Bay Area, Wealth Management Connect connecting Mainland investors to investment opportunities in Hong Kong and internationally, and vice-versa, allowing investments into China via Hong Kong.
The Wealth Management Connect was proposed to allow investors between Mainland China and Hong Kong to open banking & investment accounts, invest in stocks & bonds, purchase financial products and remit renminbi (RMB / CNY) & foreign currencies.
In May 2021, the Central Bank of China and China regulators have set a net $23.2 billion (CNY 150 billion) quota for the Wealth Management Connect in the Greater Bay Area, comprising of Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao with total GDP of $1.64 trillion and population of 71.2 million people and GDP per capita of $23,075.
The net cashflow movement between Mainland China and Hong Kong cannot exceed $23.2 billion (CNY 150 billion) while the individual investor investment quota is set at $155,000 (CNY 1 million).
Capital Market Connectivity Schemes
Existing capital market connectivity schemes include Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect, Shenzhen-Hong Kong Stock Connect, Bond Connect and Mutual Recognition of Funds. The new scheme will be Wealth Management Connect.
- Shanghai-Hong Kong Stock Connect
- Shenzhen-Hong Kong Stock Connect
- Bond Connect
- Mutual Recognition of Funds
- Wealth Management Connect (New)
- $9 Trillion Asset Manager BlackRock, CCB & Temasek JV Receives License for Wealth Management in China
- China Regulators Set $23.2 Billion Quota for Greater Bay Area Wealth Management Connect
- EY Releases 2021 Global Wealth Research Report, 2500 Clients Surveyed
- Credit Suisse, UBS, Nomura, MUFJ and Morgan Stanley Losses for Archegos Family Office Nears $10 Billion
- HSBC, Citi and Standard Chartered Add 6,600 Wealth & Private Banking Jobs in Asia
- Citi Creates Citi Global Wealth to Manage all Global Wealth Units, Including Citi Private Bank
- Credit Suisse Appoints Dominique Boer as Market Group Head Singapore, Adds 7 Private Bankers & Advisors
- Credit Suisse Raises $1.92 Billion Capital, $5.5 billion Losses from Archegos Family Office
- Credit Suisse and Nomura in $6 Billion Hit by Bill Hwang Archegos Family Office
- UBS Reports $861 Million Losses from Archegos Family Office, $4.2 Trillion AUM and $1.82 Billion Profit for Q1 2021
- HSBC Private Bank Gives Family Office in Asia Access to Investment Bank & Private Deals
- HSBC Appoints Annabel Spring as Chief Executive of Global Private Banking
- Citi Appoints Ida Liu as New Global Head of Private Banking, Exit 13 Markets
Sign Up / Register
- Manage $20 million to $3 billion of assets
- Invest $3 million to $300 million
- Advise institutions, billionaires, UHNWs & HNWs
Caproasia Platforms | 10,000 Investors & Advisors
- Caproasia Access
- Caproasia Events
- The Financial Centre | Find Services
- Family Office Circle
- Professional Investor Circle
- Investor Relations Network
Monthly Roundtable & Networking
Family Office Programs
The 2023 Investment Day
- 28th March 2023 - Hong Kong
- 4th April 2023 - Singapore
- April 2023 - Virtual
- 6th June 2023 - Hong Kong
- 13th June 2023 - Singapore
- Sept 2023 - Hong Kong
- Oct 2023 - Singapore
- Oct 2023 - Hong Kong
- Visit: The Investment Day | Register: Click here
- The Investment Summit
- The Private Wealth Summit
- The Family Office Summit
- The CEO & Entrepreneur Summit
- The Capital Markets Summit
- The ESG / Sustainable Investment Summit