$606 Billion Asset Manager Aberdeen Standard Investments Setup Sustainability Institute in APAC, to Launch New Sustainable Funds
30th July 2021 | Singapore
Aberdeen Standard Investments (ASI), the UK global asset manager with $606 billion assets and rebranding to abrdn, has announced the setup of abrdn Sustainability Institute in Asia-Pacific. The abrdn Sustainability Institute will engage policymakers in Asia-Pacific to shape ESG regulatory framework, support asset owners’ journey towards Net Zero and develop sustainability training and education for investors and distributors. Aberdeen Standard Investments (ASI) will also be launching new sustainable and climate-focused funds to Asian investors. The abrdn Sustainability Institute will be led by Danielle Welsh-Rose, Aberdeen Standard Investments ESG Investment Director APAC and advised by a Sustainable Investment Advisory Board and chaired by Aberdeen Standard Investments APAC CEO René Buehlmann. (ESG ~ Environmental, Social and Governance)
“ Aberdeen Standard Investments Setup Sustainability Institute in APAC, to Launch New Sustainable Funds “
The abrdn Sustainability Institute
Aberdeen Standard Investments has almost 30 years of track record in ESG integration, with sustainability resources located in Asia since 2007. Currently, there are 5 dedicated ESG experts based in Singapore and Australia.
The abrdn Sustainability Institute will engage policymakers to help shape the region’s ESG regulatory framework, support asset owners’ journey towards Net Zero and integrate ESG considerations in all investments. The Sustainability Institute will also develop more best-practice sustainability training and education for investors and distributors, deliver deeper Asia-centric ESG insights and utilise APAC-based resources to build a wider array of innovative sustainable investment solutions for its clients.
The Sustainability Institute will be a fully integrated sustainability innovation hub that brings together experienced ESG experts from its Asia Pacific business to drive sustainability outcomes for investors. It will comprise ESG investment professionals across asset classes and sustainability specialists from various business functions, including regulation, product development, distribution and corporate sustainability. Aberdeen Standard Investments will continue to add ESG-dedicated headcounts as part of its strategy to deepen its APAC sustainability capabilities.
The abrdn Sustainability Institute will be led by Danielle Welsh-Rose, Aberdeen Standard Investments ESG Investment Director APAC and advised by a Sustainable Investment Advisory Board and chaired by APAC CEO René Buehlmann.
(ESG ~ Environmental, Social and Governance)
René Buehlmann, Chief Executive Officer – Asia Pacific at abrdn:
“Asia is still far behind the rest of the world in deploying sustainable investment strategies, but is moving fast to catch up with client demand.
Capitalising on our deep global and Asian ESG expertise, there is an opportunity for us to drive positive changes in the industry. Active engagement with companies, policymakers, industry partners and clients on ESG matters will be key to help build an impactful sustainable investing infrastructure in the region.”
New Sustainable & Climate Investments
Sustainable investing is a strategic priority for ASI, and will be launching new sustainable and climate-focused strategies to Asian investors in 2021. The Sustainability Institute will also work with its clients to customise sustainable solutions, enabling them to play their part in supporting the global transition to a more inclusive, equitable and sustainable low-carbon economy, whilst achieving net-zero goals.
Aberdeen Standard Investments is one of the first asset managers in Asia-Pacific to have fully integrated ESG considerations into its investments across all asset classes. As an active investor, over the years its Asian equity team has actively engaged with investee companies to drive better ESG standards and sustainable changes. Its partnership with the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) aims to build an ESG ecosystem in emerging Asia – its Asian fixed income team has been at the forefront of leading direct issuer engagements to drive positive outcomes and enable capacity-building in the Asian credit markets to help attract ESG investments to the region.
In the private markets, Aberdeen Standard Investments is a pioneer in Australia’s green infrastructure investments, having been a leading co-investor in some of the country’s first public-private partnerships for green and social financing projects that were worth over AU$3 billion.
In addition, Aberdeen Standard Investments’ proprietary climate scenario analysis complements its investment team’s macro, sector and company research, providing a rigorous framework for managing climate-related financial risks and opportunities. This helps inform the fund managers’ engagement with companies on climate transition strategies, in order to build more resilient portfolios and improve long-term returns.
Aberdeen Standard Investments:
- UBS Gathers Investors and ESG Thought Leaders, $793 Billion of Client Assets in Sustainable Investments
- Schroders Grows ESG in Asia-Pacific, Appoints Mervyn Tang as Head of Sustainability Strategy APAC
- SGX & NASDAQ Provides Sustainable Bond Data Network to Global Investors, 650 issuers & 6500 Bonds
- Hong Kong SFC Publishes ESG Fund Disclosure Guidelines, 59 Funds Listed Including BlackRock, Amundi and Allianz
- SGX, DBS, Standard Chartered & Temasek Launches New Global Exchange for Carbon Credits
- Deutsche Bank Survey: 75% of Private Bank Clients View Investments Should Have Positive Impact to the World
- The Future of Capital is Green – Keynote Address by Ravi Menon at IMAS-Bloomberg Investment Conference 2021
- Hong Kong Exchange Launches Sustainable and Green Exchange
- 2020 Annual Impact Investor Survey – Global Impact Investing $715 Billion Market Maturing
- IFC Releases The 2020 Growing Impact Report
- BNP Paribas Survey: 40% of Hedge Funds in Survey Consider ESG Factors in Investment Process
- UBS Tightens Carbon Asset Financing, Zero Emissions by 2050
Aberdeen Standard Investments
Aberdeen Standard Investments is a global asset manager dedicated to creating long-term value for our clients. With over 1,000 investment professionals, we manage $562.9 billion (£455.6 billion, June 2020) of assets worldwide. We have clients in 80 countries supported by over 40 offices globally. This ensures we are close to our clients and the markets in which we invest.
Standard Life Aberdeen is headquartered in Scotland, with over 1 million shareholders and is listed on the London Stock Exchange.
Visit: Aberdeen Standard Investments
Sign Up / Register
- Manage $20 million to $3 billion of assets
- Invest $3 million to $300 million
- Advise institutions, billionaires, UHNWs & HNWs
Caproasia Platforms | 10,000 Investors & Advisors
- Caproasia Access
- Caproasia Events
- The Financial Centre | Find Services
- Family Office Circle
- Professional Investor Circle
- Investor Relations Network
Monthly Roundtable & Networking
Family Office Programs
The 2023 Investment Day
- 28th March 2023 - Hong Kong
- 4th April 2023 - Singapore
- April 2023 - Virtual
- Sept 2023 - Hong Kong
- Oct 2023 - Singapore
- Oct 2023 - Hong Kong
- Visit: The Investment Day | Register: Click here
- The Investment Summit
- The Private Wealth Summit
- The Family Office Summit
- The CEO & Entrepreneur Summit
- The Capital Markets Summit
- The ESG / Sustainable Investment Summit