Global Impact Investing Network Research 2022: South Asia Shows Highest Growth in Clients Using Responsible Financial Services
10th June 2022 | Singapore
Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN), the global champion of impact investing, has released the 2022 research brief titled “Progress toward SDGs across financial inclusion investments in emerging markets”, with key findings including South Asia showing the highest growth (+16%) in clients using “Responsible Financial Services.” GIIN: ”According to investors, the lack of data and analytics represent a major barrier to driving capital towards achieving global goals like the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This brief is part of a series providing comprehensive and robust impact performance analysis based on data submitted directly to the GIIN’s IRIS+ financial services impact performance benchmark to help investors unlock opportunities drive change through their portfolios.” Dean Hand, Chief Research Officer at the GIIN: “Having easily comparable impact performance data is crucial for investors, especially if they are able to compare that performance data to what is required to achieve specific SDG targets by 2030. We would like to commend the leaders who continue to contribute to the IRIS+ system—because of their leadership, together with this analysis, we believe that investors are better able to understand their impact performance and proactively adjust strategies. In the end, this can lead to far better outcomes for clients of financial services in emerging markets.” View GIINsight research brief: Progress toward SDGs across financial inclusion investments in emerging markets
“ South Asia Shows Highest Growth in Clients Using Responsible Financial Services “
GIINSIGHT: Progress toward SDGs across financial inclusion investments in emerging markets
Key findings from GIINSIGHT: Progress toward SDGs across financial inclusion investments in emerging markets
- Impact of investments increasing clients’ use of responsible financial services (aligned to SDG Target 1.4)
- Investments in South Asia boast the highest percent increase in clients using responsible financial services (16%) and the highest median number of clients using responsible financial services (19,798).
- Investments in Latin America & the Caribbean, on the other hand, lag in both percent increase in clients (1%) and the median number of clients using responsible financial services (703).
- Impact of investments providing responsible financial services to micro-, small-, and medium-enterprises (MSMEs) (aligned to SDG Target 8.3)
- The percent increase in the number of MSMEs financed by investments in Latin America & the Caribbean (10.5%) and South Asia (16%) outperform their respective regional percent increase targets required to meet SDG 8.3 by 2030 (2.7% and 5.5%, respectively).
- Impact of investments supporting decent jobs at or above the respective living wage (aligned to SDG Target 8.5)
- Except for investments in Latin America and the Caribbean, regional investments directed towards decent jobs outperformed regional SDGs targets and are on pace to meet SDG 8.5 by 2030.
About the Global Impact Investing Network
The Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) is the global champion of impact investing, dedicated to increasing the scale and effectiveness of impact investing around the world. Impact investments are investments made into companies, organizations, and funds with the intention to generate positive, measurable, social and environmental impact alongside a financial return. Impact investments can be made in both emerging and developed markets and target a range of returns from below market to market rate, depending upon investors’ objectives. The GIIN builds critical infrastructure and supports activities, education, and research that help accelerate the development of a coherent impact investing industry. For more information, please visit www.thegiin.org.