The Rewind: Fund Management in 2016
While trying to spot the next great investment idea or construct an optimal asset allocation strategy, do you know that global managed assets exceeds $50 trillion in 2016?
Who are the biggest Fund Managers in the world? What is going on in the Fund Management industry?
- List of Global Top 50 Fund Management Firms 2016
- 35 Leading Fund Management Firms in Singapore
- 2015 Singapore Fund Management at a Glance
We bring to you a quick rewind of Fund Management in 2016:
No. 1 The Start of M&A for Fund Management Firms
In October 2016, the announcement of Henderson Group and Janus Capital to merge shocked the global Fund Management community and investors.
Henderson Group is listed on London Stock Exchange (LSE) while Janus Capital is listed on New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). The merged asset manager will be renamed as Janus Henderson, managing a combined total AUM of more than $320 Billion.
Just when the year is about to end for 2016, leading European Asset Manager Amundi announced to buy Pioneer Global Asset Management. With the acquisition, Amundi Asset Management will have a total AUM of more than $1.4 trillion.
No. 2 The Largest Fund Management firms in the World
The largest Fund Management firm in the world is BlackRock with more than $4.7 trillion AUM. Vanguard, UBS, State Street and Fidelity rounded up the top 5 Fund Management firms in the world.
Top 5 Fund Management firms in the World:
|Rank||Company||Country of Origin||Founded||AUM (US$)|
|1||BlackRock, Inc||United States||1988||$4.7 Trillion|
|2||Vanguard||United States||1975||$3.3 Trillion|
|3||UBS Global Asset Management||Switzerland||2002||$2.7 Trillion|
|4||State Street Global Advisers||United States||1978||$2.2 Trillion|
|5||Fidelity Investments||United States||1946||$2.1 Trillion|
Source: Caproasia Institute
No. 3 Fund Management Firms With Strong Presence in Singapore
There are 35 Fund Management Firms with a strong presence in Singapore. Fast growing firms include Amundi Asset Management, Columbia Threadneedle, Fullerton Asset Management and many more … …
No. 4 About Hedge Funds
According to a 2015 Singapore Asset Management Survey by Monetary Authority of Singapore, AUM grew to S$119 billion. Read More: Hedge Fund Assets in Singapore Grew at Slowest Pace in Three Years
Exclusive from The Wealth Insider:
- Hedge Funds in Asia Had Highest Withdrawal in Past Four Years
- Hedge Fund Closures on Track for the Worst Year Since 2008
- Alphadyne Asset Management to Start a Hedge Fund Unit in Singapore
- Druckenmiller Backed Hedge Fund Begins Trading with $900 Million
- Hedge Funds Pull Funds out of Deutsche Bank
- Perry Capital to Liquidate its Hedge Funds
- Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Holdings Said to Liquidate Japan Hedge Funds
- Hedge Funds See Largest Redemptions Since 2009
- Top 25 Hedge Fund Managers Made a Combined $13 Billion in 2015
No. 5 The Largest Sovereign Wealth Funds
The world’s largest Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF) is the Social Security Trust Fund. It has more than $2.7 Trillion AUM and started in the year 1935, almost 80 years ago.
Top 5 Sovereign Wealth Funds in the World:
|Rank||Name of Sovereign Wealth Fund||Country||AUM (US$)||Year Started|
|1||Social Security Trust Fund||United States||$2.7 Trillion||1935|
|2||Government Pension Investment Fund||Japan||$1.3 Trillion||2001|
|3||Government Pension Fund- Global||Norway||$862 Billion||1990|
|4||China Investment Corporation||China||$746 Billion||2007|
|5||Abu Dhabi Investment Authority||UAE – Abu Dhabi||$621 Billion||1976|
No. 6 The Changing Landscape of Fund Management in Asia
Before the decade long Asian economic boom, there were few options for Wealth & Investment Professionals:
- Invest in stocks via Brokerages
- Invest in Bonds via Banks or Direct Purchase
- Invest in Insurance Policies
- Invest in Professionally Managed Funds
- Set up a discretionary portfolio mandate
With the wealth growth in Asia, Fund Management landscape have taken a significant twist.
Wealth Managers, Investment Professionals and Investors are working partnering with the fast-growing models of Multi-Family Offices, External Asset Managers, Private Wealth Management firms and Boutique Investment firms.
Changing Fund Management Landscape:
|Established Model||Fast-Growing Model|
|Asset Managers||Multi-Family Offices|
|Fund Managers||External Asset Management|
|Capital Management||Private Wealth Management|
|Investment Management||Boutique Investment Firms|
Join us in the 2016 Rewind:
- The 2016 Ultimate Rewind
- Top 5 Most Shocking News in 2016
- The Rewind: Private Banks in 2016
- Top 50 People Moves in 2016
- Top 5 Professionals Who Left Private Banking in 2016
- Top 10 Research Publications in 2016
- The Rewind: Fund Management in 2016
- Top 10 Most Popular Articles in 2016
- Top 20 Most Popular Articles in 2016
- Top 10 Most Popular Videos in 2016
- Top 50 Most Memorable Photos in 2016
- Photoshot of the Year 2016
- Top 30 Headlines in 2016