$1.5 Trillion Asset Manager Franklin Templeton Appoints Dr. Ben Meng as Chairman of APAC
16th July 2021 | Hong Kong
Franklin Templeton, one of the world’s leading asset manager with more than $1.5 trillion AUM, has appointed Dr. Ben Meng as Templeton Franklin Executive Vice President and Chairman of Asia-Pacific with effect on the 15th of July 2021. Dr. Ben Meng was the Chief Investment Officer of $460 billion United States Pension fund CalPERS (California Public Employees Retirement System) and Deputy Chief Investment Officer of $3 trillion China State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE), with investments in real estate, infrastructure, private equity and private credit. Reporting to Franklin Templeton President and CEO Jenny Johnson, Dr. Ben Meng will drive Franklin Templeton’s Asia Pacific and global growth strategy and expand investment offerings in the Asia Pacific region, with a particular focus in private equity, venture capital and other alternative asset capabilities. (AUM ~ Assets under Management)
“ $1.5 Trillion Asset Manager Franklin Templeton Appoints Dr. Ben Meng as Chairman of APAC “
Dr. Ben Meng, Templeton Franklin Executive Vice President and Chairman of Asia Pacific
Dr. Ben Meng previously served as Chief Investment Officer for the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), where he oversaw investment strategies for its over USD $460 billion1 multi-asset class portfolio. He also served as Deputy Chief Investment Officer for the State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE), which manages over $3 trillion, including investments in real estate, infrastructure, private equity and private credit.
Dr. Ben Meng holds a Master of Financial Engineering degree from the Haas School of Business at the University of California at Berkeley and a Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from the University of California at Davis. He serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Investment Management (JOIM) and frequently teaches at top business schools globally. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and the Committee of 100.
Franklin Templeton President and CEO Jenny Johnson:
“Expanding our alternative asset business and deepening our overall commitment to the Asia Pacific region are key strategic priorities for Franklin Templeton, and Ben is uniquely experienced and positioned to lead important initiatives in the region.
He brings to Franklin Templeton a strong track record for delivering results across a broad range of asset classes and extensive experience and knowledge of the region. His approach to asset and risk allocation, along with his belief in active investment, align well with our investment philosophy, and we are thrilled to welcome Ben to the Franklin Templeton family.”
Templeton Franklin Executive Vice President and Chairman of Asia Pacific, Dr. Ben Meng:
“I have long respected Franklin Templeton’s business, its long-term focus, and its collaborative, client-first culture and global reach. I am excited to build upon the firm’s nearly 75-year history and to be part of its next phase of growth in the Asia Pacific region. I look forward to working closely with Jenny and the Franklin Templeton team to execute upon the firm’s strategic priorities across the region.”
- UBS and Invesco Launch Institutional Grade Real Estate Investments for UBS Clients
- Schroders: Investments to Reach Net Zero Emissions, Outlook on China
- BlackRock: 2021 Mid-year Asia Investment Outlook on Equity and Fixed Income Markets
- BlackRock and iCapital Network to Provide Wealth Managers with Access to Private Market Investments
- Singapore Central Bank MAS Allocates $1.8 Billion to 5 Asset Managers for Climate Investments
- $132 Billion Swiss Asset Manager GAM Investments Setup Singapore Office, Hires Terence Bong as Head of Singapore
- Deutsche Bank Survey: 75% of Private Bank Clients View Investments Should Have Positive Impact to the World
- HSBC Private Bank Gives Family Office in Asia Access to Investment Bank and Private Deals
- 2020 Private Markets & Alternatives Assets in Asia AUM at $1.7 Trillion
- Private Markets, Alternatives Assets in Asia to Reach $6 Trillion by 2025
- 2020 China Private Equity and Venture Capital AUM at $1.04 Trillion, Southeast Asia at $33 Billion
- 2021 Q1 Global Hedge Funds AUM at $4.1 Trillion, $162 Billion AUM in APAC
- 2020 Sovereign Wealth Fund AUM at $7.84 Trillion, Norway Largest with $1.27 Trillion
About Franklin Templeton
Franklin Resources, Inc. [NYSE:BEN], is a global investment management organization with subsidiaries operating as Franklin Templeton and serving clients in over 165 countries. Franklin Templeton’s mission is to help clients achieve better outcomes through investment management expertise, wealth management and technology solutions. Through its specialist investment managers, the company brings extensive capabilities in equity, fixed income, multi-asset solutions and alternatives. With offices in more than 30 countries and approximately 1,300 investment professionals, the California-based company has over 70 years of investment experience and approximately $1.5 trillion in assets under management as of May 31, 2021. For more information, please visit franklinresources.com.
Caproasia.com | The leading financial website for financial professionals, professional investors and HNW investors. Covering capital markets, investments and private wealth in Asia. How do you invest $3 million to $300 million? How do you manage $20 million to $3 billion of assets? Quicklinks: Caproasia Access | TFC | Caproasia | Jobs