Private Equity Apollo Capital Management Buys Yahoo & AOL for $5 Billion
3rd September 2021 | Hong Kong
Apollo Capital Management, one of the world’s largest private equity firm with $472 billion AUM, has completed the acquisition of Yahoo & AOL (formerly Verizon Media) for $5 billion. In 2017, Yahoo was bought by Verizon Media for $4.5 billion. Yahoo, AOL and HuffPost were then structured under a new company (Oath), which was later rebranded as Verizon Media In 2020, HuffPost was sold to BuzzFeed. With the completion of the transaction, Verizon Media will own 10% stake in Yahoo and receive $4.25 billion in cash. (AUM ~ Assets under Management)
“ Private Equity Apollo Capital Management Buys Yahoo & AOL for $5 Billion from Verizon “
Yahoo, Global Technology & Media Co.
For nearly 30 years, Yahoo has been the world’s premier global technology and media company, with nearly 900 million monthly active users worldwide, making it the third-largest property on the internet. Comprised of iconic consumer news brands and products, plus leading advertising and media platform businesses, Apollo’s investment will enable new growth for Yahoo, benefiting consumers, advertisers, publishing partners, and employees.
Reed Rayman, Partner at Apollo:
“We look forward to partnering with Yahoo’s talented employee base to build on the company’s strong momentum and position the new Yahoo for long-term success as a standalone consumer internet and digital media leader. We couldn’t be more excited about this next chapter for Yahoo as we look to invest in growth across the business, including accelerating its customer-first offerings and commerce capabilities, expanding its reach and enhancing the daily user experience.”
Guru Gowrappan, CEO of Yahoo:
“This is a new era for Yahoo. The close of the deal heralds an exciting time of renewed opportunity for us as a standalone entity. We anticipate that the coming months and years will bring fresh growth and innovation for Yahoo as a business and a brand, and we look forward to creating that future with our new partners.”
- China Limits Gaming Playtime, Stops Private Equity Fund-Raising for Residential Properties and Banks to Stop FX Services
- Top 3 Private Equity Blackstone, KKR & Carlyle AUM at $1.38 trillion, Raises $158.5 Billion in 1H 2021
- Spanish Football League LaLiga Receives $3.2 Billion Private Equity Investment from CVC Capital, Real Madrid and Barcelona Criticises Deal
- United States Private Equity Hellman & Friedman Closes $24.4 Billion Fund, $80 Billion Total Managed Assets
- 2020 China Private Equity and Venture Capital AUM at $1.04 Trillion, Southeast Asia at $33 Billion
- Hong Kong Private Equity Funds to Have 0% Tax for Carried Interest
- World’s Leading $96 Billion Private Equity Firm Ardian Raises $19 Billion from Global Investors
- Forbes Goes Public on NYSE in $630 Million SPAC Merger with Magnum Opus
- Richard Branson Virgin Orbit Goes Public on NASDAQ in $3.2 Billion SPAC Merger with NextGen Acquisition
- Italian Luxury Brand Ermenegildo Zegna Goes Public on NYSE in $2.5 Billion SPAC Merger
- Grab $39.6 Billion SPAC IPO Delayed to Q4 2021, Pending Accounts Clearance
- Southeast Asia Grab Goes Public on Nasdaq at $39.6 Billion Valuation with SPAC Merger
- WeWork Goes Public at $9 Billion Valuation with SPAC Merger
- Facebook co-Founder Eduardo Saverin B Capital Creates SPAC to Raise $300 Million on NASDAQ
- Singapore Exchange Seeks Feedback on SPACs Listing at SGD 300 Million Market Capitalization
- NASDAQ Executed 300 IPOs in 2020, Raising $77.86 Billion
- New York Stock Exchange Remains Market Leader for IPO in 2020, Raising $81.8 Billion
Apollo is a high-growth, global alternative asset manager. We seek to provide our clients excess return at every point along the risk-reward spectrum from investment grade to private equity with a focus on three business strategies: yield, hybrid and opportunistic. Through our investment activity across our fully integrated platform, we serve the retirement income and financial return needs of our clients, and we offer innovative capital solutions to businesses. Our patient, creative, knowledgeable approach to investing aligns our clients, businesses we invest in, our employees and the communities we impact, to expand opportunity and achieve positive outcomes. As of June 30, 2021, Apollo had approximately $472 billion in assets under management. To learn more, please visit www.apollo.com.
Yahoo is a global media and tech company that connects people to their passions. We reach nearly 900 million people around the world, bringing them closer to what they love—from finance and sports, to shopping, gaming and news—with the trusted products, content and tech that fuel their day. For partners, we provide a full-stack platform for businesses to amplify growth and drive more meaningful connections across advertising, search and media. To learn more, please visit yahooinc.com.