Hong Kong Launches Banking Graduate Trainee Program: Fintech, Green & Sustainable finance, GBA Business
28th April 2022 | Hong Kong
Hong Kong central bank Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) and the banking industry have jointly launched the Banking Graduate Trainee Programme to nurture more new entrants for the fast-growing areas of the banking sector, focusing on 3 growth engines: Fintech, Green & Sustainable finance and GBA Business (Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area). The new Programme will focus on providing job opportunities for recent university graduates with around 30 participating banks with more than 120 job openings. The graduate trainees recruited under the Programme will receive relevant professional trainings which help lay a solid foundation for their long-term career development in the banking industry. HKMA Chief Executive Eddie Yue: “To strengthen the competitiveness of Hong Kong as an international financial centre, we must enlarge our talent pool for the banking industry in order to seize the enormous business opportunities brought about by fintech, green and sustainable finance, and GBA development. A crucial source of new blood for the industry is our young generation. The new Banking Graduate Trainee Programme marks another major collaborative effort between the HKMA and the banking industry, with particular focus on nurturing young talent for the three major growth engines of the banking industry. The Programme will help increase the supply of talent in a more targeted manner to cater for the future development needs of the banking industry. It will also provide a valuable opportunity for university graduates to get into the industry and receive systematic professional trainings, thereby better preparing them to become the future backbone of the banking industry.” View details of program below.
“ Hong Kong Launches Banking Graduate Trainee Program: Fintech, Green & Sustainable finance, GBA Business “
Hong Kong Banking Graduate Trainee Programme
The Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) today (28 April) announced the launch of the Banking Graduate Trainee Programme (the Programme) jointly with the banking industry. The Programme aims to nurture more new entrants and hence enlarge the talent pool for the fast-growing areas of the banking sector.
The three major growth engines, namely fintech, green and sustainable finance, and the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (GBA) business, are set to bring enormous business opportunities to the banking industry. In order to support banks’ business development and expansion plans in the coming years, the industry has strong demand for talent equipped with the right capabilities and skill sets. After deliberation with the industry, the HKMA decided to launch the Programme, as a sequel of the Banking Talent Programme, with an aim to bring in and nurture new blood for the banking industry in a more systematic and targeted manner, thereby supporting the sustainable development of the industry.
The new Programme will focus on providing job opportunities in fintech, green and sustainable finance, and GBA business for recent university graduates. More than 120 job openings are available. The graduate trainees recruited under the Programme will receive relevant professional trainings which help lay a solid foundation for their long-term career development in the banking industry.
The details of the Programme are set out below:
- Eligibility: The Programme will be open for application from Hong Kong residents graduating with a bachelor’s degree or above from local universities and those outside Hong Kong in 2021 or 2022.
- Job opportunities: Around 30 participating banks will offer more than 120 entry-level positions related to fintech, green and sustainable finance, and GBA business for graduate trainees’ long-term professional development. Employment will generally start from 1 September 2022.
- Professional trainings: In addition to in-house trainings provided by the participating banks, the graduate trainees can pursue relevant professional qualifications (such as Enhanced Competency Framework for Banking Practitioners on Fintech) with sponsorship from their banks. The graduate trainees may also participate in the B.E.S.T. Certificate Programme1 provided by the Hong Kong Institute of Bankers (HKIB) and specialised training seminars organised by the HKMA for free during the first year of employment, with relevant costs fully subsidised by the HKMA.
- Salary: The salary of graduate trainees will be determined by the participating banks based on market terms. Participating banks are entitled to 50% reimbursement of monthly salary, subject to a cap of HK$6,000, from the HKMA for each graduate trainee for the first year (i.e. until 31 August 2023).
- Application: Interested applicants may find out all the job opportunities offered by the participating banks under the Programme through the website of the HKIB, the administrator of the Programme. Relevant job positions will be open for application starting from 3 May 2022. Recruitment results will be notified by the participating banks to individual candidates after selection interviews.