Hong Kong Official Launch of Southbound Trading under Bond Connect, $618 Million of Bonds Traded on Day 1
24th September 2021 | Hong Kong
Hong Kong Central Bank Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) has announced the official launch of Southbound Trading under Bond Connect on the 24th September 2021, with more than 150 transactions on the first day of trading totalling $618 million (CNY 4 billion). The Southbound Trading under Bond Connect provide a convenient, efficient and secure channel for Mainland institutional investors to invest in offshore bonds through the Hong Kong bond market.
“ Hong Kong Official Launch of Southbound Trading under Bond Connect, $618 Million of Bonds Traded on Day 1 “
HKMA & People’s Bank of China
The HKMA will continue working with the People’s Bank of China and other relevant institutions to promote Southbound Trading and ensure the smooth and orderly operation of the scheme. The HKMA will also maintain close liaison with the industry, and review and enhance the operational arrangement of Southbound Trading from time to time, according to actual operation and market development needs.
Eddie Yue, Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA):
“Today, we welcome the launch of Southbound Trading under Bond Connect, which provides another diversified and convenient channel for Mainland financial institutions to allocate to offshore bond assets through Hong Kong.
While meeting the demand of the Mainland market, it will also give new momentum to the development of Hong Kong’s bond market. Southbound Trading under Bond Connect further deepens mutual access between the Mainland and Hong Kong bond markets and enhances the linkage between financial infrastructure of the two places. Once again, it signifies that Hong Kong’s financial markets serve as a secure and reliable channel and gateway for the Mainland’s opening up.”
- Launch of Southbound Bond Connect: China Mainland Institutional Investors to Invest in Hong Kong Bond Market
- Launch of Wealth Management Connect: Greater Bay Area with $1.64 trillion GDP and Population of 71.2 million
- Hong Kong Exchange Launches MSCI China A 50 Connect Index, Gives Investors Additional Tool to Manage Portfolio Risks
- HSBC & Nielsen Survey: 82% of China GBA Mainland Investors to Invest in Wealth Management Connect
- China Regulators Set $23.2 Billion Quota for Greater Bay Area Wealth Management Connect
- Hang Seng Launches Hang Seng Stock Connect China 80 Index
- Hong Kong Financial Services Council Releases Report on Financial Connectivity in Greater Bay Area & Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao
Caproasia.com | The leading financial website for financial professionals, professional investors and HNW investors. Covering capital markets, investments and private wealth in Asia. How do you invest $3 million to $300 million? How do you manage $20 million to $3 billion of assets? Quicklinks: Caproasia Access | TFC | Caproasia | Jobs